Section 8 Voucher Program
Do you Qualify?
- The Section 8 voucher program is financed by the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development and administered by the Montana Department of Commerce, Housing Division. The program allows very low income families to pay a set amount towards rent and utilities, based on their gross adjusted income (currently 30%). The program then provides subsidy payments directly to the landlord/property owner on behalf of the participant. For more program information or to access other Section 8 documents go to http://housing.mt.gov.
- An individual or family can fill-out a pre-application at anytime from anywhere in the United States and have their name placed on the wait list in the area of their choice in the State of Montana. However, demand for the Section 8 subsidy program exceeds the available supply of funds and there is an extensive waiting list.
- The wait list time period for the Section 8 voucher program is up to two years in District 6 HRDC's six county areas of Fergus, Golden Valley, Judith Basin, Musselshell, Petroleum, and Wheatland.
Very low income families whose income is below 50% of area median income for the county where they reside may qualify for the program. To view the current Section 8 income guidelines go to: http://housing.mt.gov/About/Section8/s8docs.mcpx.
How to Apply?
Individuals or families may apply for the Section 8 program via online or may download a paper application by going to: http://housing.mt.gov/About/Section8/apply.mcpx.
- Subsidized apartments for low-income families are available in the City of Lewistown. Tenants pay 30% of their monthly adjusted income for rent. No moving rights are included, since the subsidy (rental assistance) is tied to the rental unit, not to the tenant family.
- Individuals or families interested in the Moderate-Rehabilitation program for a subsidized apartment must first apply to the Section 8 Wait List (see application instructions above) and then must also apply with the landlord/property owner to be determined eligible to rent a unit.
Emergency Housing Assistance
Emergency housing assistance may be available to help individuals or families with various housing needs, such as helping households who are at-risk of becoming homeless or helping people who are currently homeless.
Do you Qualify?
Because there are many different emergency assistance programs available and the guidelines for eligibility vary for each program, the best way to find out if you are eligible is to contact us.
How to Apply?
Please contact us
for an application or for an appointment. We will need to determine your need and eligibility to decide which program you qualify for.
Looking for a place to rent?
You may go to http://www.lewistownnews.com
to view any available rental units in the City of Lewistown, MT. You may also contact us
for other listings or other local contacts that may have available rental units.
Renters may also go to http://mthousingsearch.com
to search the entire state of Montana for available rental units.