Montana Housing Guidance on COVID-19
click here to be directed to the website
US Department of Housing
Temporary Concerns Regarding Rent and Temporary Suspension of Evictions for Nonpayment of Rent click here to view flyer.
Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher Program
- The Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher (HCV) program is funded by the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development and administered by the Montana Department of Commerce, Housing Division.
- The HVC program provides continuous rental assistance for very low-income families, elderly persons and persons with disabilities.
- The HCV program gives individuals and families the opportunity to choose their own rental home within the community of their choice, subject to program requirements.
- Individuals and families receiving assistance pay approximately 30% of their adjusted monthly gross income for rent and utilities, subject to payment subsidy standards. As a family’s income changes, the portion of the family’s rent share may change
- An individual or family can fill-out a pre-application at anytime from anywhere in the United States and have their name placed on the wait list in the area of their choice in the State of Montana. However, demand for the HCV subsidy program exceeds the available supply of funds and there is an extensive waiting list.
- The wait list time period for the HCV program is up to two years in District 6 HRDC's six county areas of Fergus, Golden Valley, Judith Basin, Musselshell, Petroleum, and Wheatland.
Do you Qualify?
Very low income families whose income is below 50% of area median income for the county where they reside may qualify for the program. To view the current Section 8 income guidelines go to: https://housing.mt.gov/Portals/218/Shared/RentalHousing/docs/IncomeLimits.pdf?ver=2019-08-12-132339-803
How to Apply?
Individuals or families may apply for the Section 8 program online by going to: https://housing.mt.gov/Rental-Housing/Housing-Choice-Voucher-Program
Individuals of families may also obtain a paper application from our office.
How to Apply?
Please contact us for an application or for an appointment. We will need to determine your need and eligibility to decide which program you qualify for.
Looking for a place to rent?
You may go to http://www.lewistownnews.com to view any available rental units in the City of Lewistown, MT. You may also contact us for other listings or other local contacts that may have available rental units.
Renters may also go to http://mthousingsearch.com to search the entire state of Montana for available rental units.