Low Income Energy Assistance Program
What is LIEAP?
Low Income Energy Assistance Program helps Low Income individuals and families reduce their home heating costs.
Who is eligible?
Eligibility is based on your income and assets. You may not earn more than 60% of the state median income for households of up to 7 people. For households of 8 and over, you cannot make more than 150% of the federal poverty level. Income levels are available on the State of Montana website
. You may apply whether you are a homeowner or a renter. Applications will be accepted during the heating season, which runs from October 1st through April 30th of each year.
How to Apply?
To request an application, contact the Lewistown office at 1-800-766-3018 or 535-7488. Applications are also be available for download on the State of Montana
website during the heating season. This is also an excellent source for further information on the Low Income Energy Assistance Program or you can contact us at 1-800-766-3018 or 535-7488 or email
and we'd be happy to answer your questions.
The following information is provided to assist you in the application process. Submitting an incomplete application or not submitting required documentation will only delay that process.
Documents you will need to include with your application:
Tips to help you submit a complete application:
- Current heating bill.
- Current electric bill if different from heating bill.
- Income verification for ALL household members, regardless of age.
- Current statement for all resources listed in section 7 of the LIEAP application.
- Copy of photo ID for all household members or birth certificate for household members under 18 years of age that don't have a photo ID.
- You must list ALL household members regardless of age or relationship.
- You must provide income verification for ALL household members, regardless of age or relationship.
- You must provide statements for ALL open bank accounts of ALL household members, regardless of the balance, or usage of the account.
- ALL household members 16 years of age and older, must sign the application.
- ALL sections of the application must be complete.
- If you need assistance filling out the application or just have questions, please call HRDC at 406-535-7488 or 1-800-766-3018 or email and we'll be happy to help.
What is Energy Share?
Energy Share of Montana provides one-time only assistance to homeowners and renters facing emergency heating needs.
Do You Qualify?
Clients include "working poor" who do not qualify for government programs but are in need of assistance.
How to Apply?
Please contact us
to arrange an appointment.